You probably don’t wake up in the morning eager to smear roadkill over your face or put bull semen in your hair, but – depending on the brand of cosmetics you use – you could be doing just that. And the practice goes beyond being merely icky.
Using many big name brands is also unethical and unecological. Thankfully, there has been a surge in the supply of and demand for animal-free cosmetics, which means you’ll have no problem avoiding having to tap into the drastically declining shark population to have soft skin.
Try these amazing cruelty-free, vegan makeup and cosmetic products instead. They’re easy to find in stores and online, and they’re affordable. Best of all, they’ll help you look amazing without having to wipe an entire species of the face of the earth to do it. Score!
1) Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics. A brand (and name) after my own heart. Not only does this poppy-based makeup line offer up bold products in brilliant colours, but they’re internationally certified as 100% vegan and cruelty-free by PETA.
Recommendation: If you love you some lipstick, but are tired of applying and reapplying, try OCC’s lip tar for colour with stamina.
2) INIKA. Completely and certifiably organic, award-winning INIKA cosmetics are not only cruelty-free and vegan, but they’re also halal, so even more people can enjoy their products.
Recommendation: Try INIKA’s creme eyeshadow to keep your eye effects from travelling.
3) e.l.f. If you need to be ethical on a tight budget, then e.l.f’s sprawling selection of cosmetics is for you. They’ve also designed incredible makeup tools to help you achieve even the most daring look with Liz Taylor aplomb.
Recommendation: Try their face cleansing and care regimen to keep your face fresh, soft, and looking fine. Damn fine.
4) Lime Crime. As far as cruelty-free, vegan makeup brands go, this is one of the veterans. Lime Crime’s spread of cosmetics is nothing short of fierce – especially since their metallic crazed Superfoil eyeshadows hit the scene.
Recommendation: Check out their liquid liners for a precise, satin smooth look in four eye-popping colours.
5) Modern Minerals. Hippies at heart, the fine folks at Modern Minerals have created a rock solid collection of ingenious and principled cosmetics using mineral powders.
Recommendation: Totally devoid of nanoparticles, their foundations provide flawless, light and even coverage that will have you feeling like frolicing the nearest field of daisies.
Listen, I know that some (not all!) of these products may be a smidgen more expensive than the mainstream brands, and I know you may have to veer off your beaten path to get them, but unless you’re comfortable with a picture of you in an attic somewhere getting uglier just because you don’t want to try something new, then save the truly shameful shopping for the next E.L. James book. I know I’m going to.